Agro Forests & Urban Forests
Citigardens has taken an initiative to plant trees as part of its vision for a Green
Revolution through landscaping and environmental development. The Khaya (African
mahogany) tree planting programme is promoted as a not for profit project and is
carried out in collaboration with other private sector companies under their CSR budget
and individual contributions. Other varieties of trees also may be provided on request.
Citigardens through research identified the Khaya Senegalesis (African mahogany) for
this purpose. Under CSR we plan to jointly promote Khaya plantation with government,
non government and private sector.
Why do we need Urban forests?
- They are a key to the sustainability of future.
- Our future generations need trees.
- They help with pollution control.
- They help with storm water control.
- They absorb the carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
- They are home for many a living being.
Environmental facts about trees
- An average tree will drink approximately 2000 liters of water per year.
- By cooling the air around the tree, the shade helps to cool earth’s temperature.
- It takes approximately 2 tons of timber to make 1 ton of paper.
- One ton of recycle paper save approximately 15 average trees .
- Over one year 2 hectors of mature trees can absorb the emission of 100 cars.
- An Oak tree spends 300 years growing, 300 years resting and 300 years declining gracefully.
- It is estimated there are 400 billion trees on earth now. That’s 61 trees per person.
- Less than 10% of the land remains intact forest.
- Forests are being destroyed at unprecedented rate.
- Don’t look at the trees as commodity. Look at as endangered species .
Urban Forest with Khaya
Why Khaya ?
- This tree grows straight up to 15 to 20 feet and the branches come to make a beautiful canopy.
- Flush green leaves and less leaf dropping. Very cool under the tree during hot times.
- Urban forest to create nature parks near the city and along the roads to give shade to cool the city.
- Identified as a good tree to absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.
- There is landscape value and can be planted along the streets.
Agro Forest with Khaya
- Fast growing, therefore can be harvested in 15 years if planted for commercial purpose.
- Classified as No-1 Hardwood with beautiful grain in the timber ( used for building boats, railway sleepers, housing etc).
- Can do inter cropping and farming in the plantation.
- To create systematic Forest Plantation for better environmental value.